5 False Assumptions about Married Sex
I love those who love me,
and those who seek me diligently find me. (Proverbs 8:17 ESV)
We would all agree that we need God’s wisdom to navigate marriage successfully. We started this blog, and wrote the book, because we didn’t always get it right. By God’s grace, we learned a few things over the years and wanted to share them with those who seek to do marriage God’s way.
The good news is that God will give us his wisdom if we want it. Mark Driscoll says, “The ‘want to’ has to come before the ‘how to’.” Do you want to do it God’s way?
Let’s start by looking at five wrong assumptions many of us make.
- We say we got married because we were in love, best friends, and wanted to build a life together (and so many other reasons). God says sex is the only reason you need to get married.
- We say sex is for procreation first and then pleasure. God says sex is for our sanctification first.
- We say sex is primarily for men and secondarily for women. God says sex is for both husband and wife equally.
- We say sex is one of many elements that make up a happy and holy marriage. God says sex is the first priority of a happy and holy marriage.
- We say we overcome sexual temptation through spiritual warfare: prayer, fasting, self control, anti-porn software, accountability partners, expensive DVD’s, and will power. God says the best way to overcome sexual temptation is frequent and reciprocal married sex.
These are just a few of the wrong assumptions we make about married sex. We will look at each of these in detail, and many more, from the Bible in future posts.
Are we married sex experts? No, not at all! But God is! And, fortunately, he tells us how to do it in his Word; that is, if we “want to”.
Bible Thought: God knows us better than we know ourselves.
Prayer: Father, I assume many things that are contrary to your truth. Help we to put down my assumptions about sex and take up your truth.
Join our Facebook Group Page for updates, discussion, book excerpts, surveys, and more.
Ask us a question on our Facebook Group Page.